Noticed you've written about social media a few times and even have your profiles on your website, I see it's very popular. How are you using social media to build your consulting business? -- Lisa
Social media, like any new marketing channel is a sticky slope for business-to-business marketers. I personally prefer keeping social media "business social" rather than polluting it with advertisements.
Here's some of what I've written on using social media to promote your business-to-business industrial or technical services firm:
- Social Media Channels Are Worth Testing
- Connecting With Readers on Social Bookmark Sites
- Biggest Social Media Marketing Mistakes
- Social Software Networks Help Track Relationships
- How I Use Social Software For Stronger Business Relationships
- Turning B2B Social Channels Into Sales
You'll see I'm actively involved in a number of communities, I even list my profiles at my consulting website. It looks like I spend a lot of time there because of the "archival value" of social media and Internet communities, however, it's only ONE of many marketing channels I use.
Specifically, here's how I use social media to build my consulting and services businesses. My clients use social media in similar ways. The short list:
- To conduct research in understanding buying desires.
- Identifying topics for marketing pieces, or published content.
- Isolating secondary media channels including popular blogs.
- Finding decision makers for certain products and services.
- Lead generation source extracting names from community.
- To establish credibility around a specific topic of discussion.
- Get answers to questions, reaching out to other experts.
- Find joint venture marketing partners and cooperative opportunities.
- Background check business partners and get product feedback.
- Find lead-in contacts and project opportunities for contractors.
- Build traffic from search engines, make it easier for buyers to find my websites.
- Connect with past customers, keeping them up to date on new projects.
- Research for clients when doing copy writing assignments and lead generation projects.
Many of the things I do in social media are improved by the nature of modern environments, however, I still use traditional sources. Social media is something I added to my existing mix, in some ways it does it better (saving time, money, resources).
Because the client I get from social media is of the same quality as clients I get from other mediums, I keep doing both. An important thing to remember is that not all your prospective buyers are even on-line, don't give up one channel for another.
© 2008 JWH Consolidated Inc, All rights reserved.
Justin Hitt helps turn business relationships into profits guaranteed. You can too, discovery business relationship building methods at http://iunctura.com/
Your email address will NOT be shared or rented, your privacy is respected.